Thursday, July 19, 2012

Book Review: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth

Ina May’s Guide to Child Birth was the first birth book I ever read. I remember after finishing it feeling like my eyes had finally opened to the significant and positive journey birth can be for a woman. Not just an "event" at the end of a pregnancy, but an incredible and powerful transformation from woman to mother. 

Ina May's Guide to ChildbirthThe layout of the book is perfect. The front is filled with birth stories that are threaded with education, emotion and humour.  I loved reading each unique experience and realized there is no technique, approach, or solution that works for everyone. The back of the book goes into the science of labour and delivery and is filled with valuable information. 

Ina May un-docked all my previous opinions and perceptions I had about birth, and basically "normalized" it for me. I strongly feel that this book was the tipping point that set me on the path to becoming a birth doula. 

I recommend this book to all of my clients, friends and family. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

~ Jamie Kalynuik, Birth Doula



No comments:

Post a Comment